[Haskell-cafe] Re: OS design & FP aesthetics

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Mon Jun 18 19:31:39 EDT 2007

On 2007-06-18, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Creighton Hogg wrote:
>> This is another thing we're just going to disagree on.  I think C++ is
>> a pretty messy language, but feel that straight up C is rather simple
>> and elegant.  I had only used C++ before, but a friend rather easily
>> convinced me that C is in fact a very sexy language when used in its
>> intended design space.
>
> To me, C is the pinacle of everything that is wrong with computer
> programming. How does the saying go? "C combines the power and
> flexibility of machine code with the ease of use of machine code."
> (Which isn't quite fair - machine code is easier to read than C.)

That's an utterly loony statement.  If nothing else, the fact that
vast, vast majority of the C code for an operating system is portable
to other machine architectures indicates it is far more flexible.

As for easier to read, what, you think the braces are going to poke
you in the eye?  Setting up arguments manually is easier
to read and write than just putting them into an argument list?

C is certainly no Haskell, but you're being ridiculous.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-