[Haskell-cafe] Re: [darcs-devel] advice on GADT type witnesses needed

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Jun 20 19:45:35 EDT 2007

On 6/20/07, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I've improved the error message for this case. It was indeed bizarrely confusing.

While we're on the subject of bizarrely confusing error messages :)

I had some code like this:
  where
  MergeResult (_:>p2') (_:>p1' ) (_cp1 :\./:_cp2) = fancy_merge $ p1 :\./: p2

and GHC gave me this error message:
     My brain just exploded.
     I can't handle pattern bindings for existentially-quantified constructors.

Which is amusing, but it doesn't hint (enough) at the workaround,
which appears to be using 'case' instead of let/where.  Any chance
this could be improved to suggest the user tries switching to a case?

I'm now using this code:
  case fancy_merge $ p1 :\./: p2 of
    MergeResult (_:>p2') (_:>p1' ) (_cp1 :\./:_cp2)

Which seems to make it further with the type checking (my code is
wrong, but at least now I get a normal error from ghc).

Thanks,
Jason