[Haskell-cafe] memory usage in repeated reading of an external program's output

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Thu Jun 21 09:05:31 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 08:18:23AM -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

>  On Jun 21, 2007, at 6:40 , Andrea Rossato wrote:
>
> > I have this very simple program that executes an external program,
> > reads its output and prints it (the program is "date").
> > The readings is done with pipes.
> >
> > The problem is that memory usage constantly increases over time.
> > Profiling does not show garbage collection of any sort.
>
>  Huh.  Thank you; I'd observed that behavior in one of my programs but hadn't
>  sat down to figure out why yet, mostly because I have a workaround:  if you
>  cap the heap (+RTS -M...) it *does* do GC.
>
>  Which makes it sound like something I don't know how to debug.  :/

well, I followed Dougal's suggestion and riduced the program into
pieces. I'm also testing the difference of runProcess and
runInteractiveProcess. The first seems better but I need some more
test.

In the first case pipes2Handles gets 80.4% alloc.
In the second is runRunIntProcess to get 88%.

Results are pretty much the same after all.

Now I'm going to profile for memory usage: I've seen that some GC
happens if you are patient enough.

Thanks for your kind attention.
Andrea

This is the code broken up:

module Main where

import System.Process
import System.Posix.IO
import System.IO
import Control.Concurrent

readOutput rh =
    do str <- hGetLine rh
       return str

mkPipe =
    do (r,w) <- createPipe
       return (r,w)

pipes2Handles r w =
    do wh <- fdToHandle w
       rh <- fdToHandle r
       return (rh,wh)

runRunProcess wh c =
    do p <- runProcess c [] Nothing Nothing Nothing (Just wh) (Just wh)
       return p

closeHandle rh wh =
    do hClose wh
       hClose rh

runWithRunProcess c =
 do (r,w) <- mkPipe
    (rh,wh) <- pipes2Handles r w
    p <- runRunProcess wh c
    exit <- waitForProcess p
    str <- readOutput rh
    closeHandle wh rh
    putStrLn str
    threadDelay $ 100000 * 1
    runWithRunProcess c

runRunIntProcess c =
    do (sin,sout,serr,p) <- runInteractiveProcess c [] Nothing Nothing
       return $! (sin,sout,serr,p)

cHandles i o e =
    do hClose i
       hClose o