[Haskell-cafe] Preferred way to get data from a socket

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 07:34:02 EDT 2007

Hello Donald,

Wednesday, June 27, 2007, 11:40:28 AM, you wrote:

>> using my library should allow 30-50 mb/s i/o speed but its
>> installation may be tricky since it was not updated over a year

> That's interesting, Bulat. Two points I'd like to ask about the streams library:

> What machine did you do the IO benchmarks on? Since we get well over 10x
> that speed word writing in Data.Binary now, for example, on a fast
> machine. (Duncan, what's the max throughput we've seen?)

test box was Duron 1.2 GHz with 230 mb/s raw memory copy throughput.
reading 20-byte lines: 50 mb/s
reading 80-byte lines: 70 mb/s

> And secondly, will the streams stuff be updated? I had trouble
> benchmarking against it back in January, and am wondering if it will be
> maintained?

afaik, problem is ArrayRef library which is used in Streams but not
compatible with ghc 6.6. i will look into it if it will be really
required for someone

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com