[Haskell-cafe] Very Basic IO question

Joe Olivas olivasj at ecs.csus.edu
Sat Mar 3 02:05:53 EST 2007

I am VERY new to Haskell, and just getting my feet wet with functional
programming in general.  I've been going over a few examples online, but I
can't figure out the behavior I'm seeing on a very basic example:

---
module Main where

import System.IO

main :: IO ()
main = do
         putStrLn "Please enter your name: "
         name <- getLine
         putStrLn ("Hello, " ++ name ++ ", how are you?")
---

This example works as I would expect.  The prompt displays with a new
line, the input is entered and echoed:
---
Please enter your name:
joe
Hello, joe, how are you?

However, changing 'putStrLn' to 'putStr' does not do what I would expect.
The prompt doesn't get displayed until after there is input:
---
joe
Please enter your name: Hello, joe, how are you?

Why does it exhibit this behavior?  I'm using a ghc 6.6 built from source
 from 20070227.  The regular 6.6 release had the same behavior.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

-Joe