[Haskell-cafe] Foralls in records

Adde adde at trialcode.com
Tue Mar 13 21:23:31 EDT 2007

Hi.
I'm experimenting with implementing database transactions as monads but I'm
getting stuck on how to store a generic connection (only constrained by a
typeclass) inside the transaction. The reason I'm doing it this way is that
the connection could be a different kind of structure depending on what
database the transaction is using.
The goal is to enable all functions using the monad to extract the connection
using getConnection.
I realise I could probably get it running by adding a type parameter for the
connection type to TransactionT and Transaction but I feel I shouldn't have
to. All the compiler needs to know is that the contained value conforms to the
interface of Connection.

<code>
data TransactionT = forall c. (Connection c) => TransactionT c

data Transaction a = Transaction (TransactionT -> (a, TransactionT))

instance Monad Transaction where

getConnection :: Transaction c
getConnection = Transaction (\t@(TransactionT c) -> (c, t))

class Connection c where
  connectionExecute :: c -> String -> Transaction ()

execute :: String -> Transaction ()
execute s = connectionExecute getConnection s
</code>

I'm getting the following error:
Couldn't match expected type `c' (a rigid variable)
           against inferred type `c1' (a rigid variable)
      `c' is bound by the type signature for `getConnection'
        at Database.hs:19:29
      `c1' is bound by the pattern for `TransactionT'
             at Database.hs:20:33-46
    In the expression: c
    In the expression: (c, t)
    In a lambda abstraction: \ (t@(TransactionT c)) -> (c, t)