[Haskell-cafe] ANN: MIME Strike Force

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Sun Mar 18 16:36:12 EDT 2007

Hello,

If you have tried to do any MIME processing using Haskell, you are
likely to have found two things:

 1) There are a lot of MIME libraries for Haskell
 2) None of them do everything you want

So, I propose that we form a MIME Strike Force and create the one,
true MIME library.

The plan is something like this:

1) Document all the things the MIME library needs to support.

2) Pick the technology, and design the infrastructure for supporting
   these features. For example, I don't think we will be able to use
   Parsec because:

   i) We want to support ByteString
   ii) We want to be able to lazily parse the message

3) Try to reuse as much existing code as possible to implement the
   design.

I have started step 1 by creating this page:

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Libraries_and_tools/MIMEStrikeForce

Please add your comments, requirements, etc.

If you are interesting in helping contrib ideas, code, or flames,
please let me know. If there is enough interest, we should probably
set up a mailing list for discussion.

j.

ps. This *might* make a decent SoC project, but only if it results in
the one, true MIME library. We definitely do not need another
incomplete MIME library floating around.