[Haskell-cafe] Link error in ALUT "Hello, World"

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Sat Mar 24 22:43:18 EDT 2007

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 11:38:56AM +0900, Nobuhito Mori wrote:
> Hi, I installed OpenAL and ALUT bindings downloaded from
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html and tried
> compilation of "HelloWorld.hs" example which I got from
> http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/ALUT/
>
> But it returns errors as follow and I can not get an '.exe' file.
> Though there are clearly "link errors", I can not understand why it
> happens. By option "-package ALUT",  libalut.a (which made by pexports and
>  dlltool because I do not know original "alut.lib" can be used by mingw) and
> other necessary libraries are automatically linked, I think. What is "@8"
> of "alutInit at 8"?
>
> How can I avoid these errors?
> My environment is
> Windows XP SP2, GHC6.6, MinGW/MSYS (so some of mingw tools are duplicated.
> one is GHC's, the other is MinGW's)

@8 is name mangling, used by the (Windows-specific) calling convention
for these symbols.  Probably, a convention declaration was omitted in
ALUT, and not noticed because it would only affect windows.  Report a
bug (http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/newticket?type=bug).
Disclaimer: I haven't used windows in four years.

Stefan