[Haskell-cafe] Re: A question about functional dependencies and existential

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 00:40:58 EDT 2007

A wee bit off topic... but bear with me.

Oleg points out a distinction between declaring a class with
functional dependencies and implementing a class with functional
dependencies. Judging from my experience, it might behoove those
wrestling with type classes and FDs to emphasize that the class
declaration also merely declares the functional dependencies and does
not guarantee them as type-level functions. Moreover, instances
implementing the class implement the functional dependencies as well.
However, just because GHC accepts the instances as satisfying the
functional dependencies, it doesn't necessarily guarantee that the
functional dependencies can be aggressively used to resolve
polymorphism--let me elaborate on this last point. Consider

class C a b | a -> b where
    foo :: a -> b

instance C Int Int where
    foo = id
instance Num a => C Bool a where
    foo _ = 3

GHC 6.7.20070214 accepts this code with fglasgow-exts and undecidable
instances. I usually read the functional dependencies as "a determines
b" (and I suspect many other people do as well). Unfortunately, that
is not the guaranteed by the functional dependency analyzer. What is
guaranteed is that any two instances of C do not together contradict
the functional dependencies. Given C Bool x, I cannot infer what x is,
though I had thought that "a determines b".

When I was exercising my prefrontal Olegial cortex in writing my own
static record library a la Hlist, I learned this lesson the hard way.
Hopefully this saves the reader some trouble.

Motto: "appeasing the functional dependency analyzer DOES NOT mean
that the type class is actually a type function". Perhaps ATs do have
this quality? I'm not sure--but if they do I will definitely be a fan.