[Haskell-cafe] A wish for relaxed layout syntax

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley at invescoperpetual.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 08:16:58 EDT 2007

> From: haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org
> [mailto:haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Douglas Philips
>
> On 2007 Mar 29, at 12:26 AM, Nicolas Frisby wrote:
> > I don't think that
> >
> > aName =
> >  [ x
> >  , y
> >  , z
> >  ]
> >
> > can be beat for adaptability
>
> IMHO (just as IYHO above), this cannot be beat:
>
> aName = [
>          x ,
>          y ,
>          z ,
>          ]
>
> is perfect. though there are many variations on where 'x ,'
> is placed relative to the opening square bracket.

While we're on the my-syntax-is-better-n-yours wagon... this works in
Haskell *now*, without any changes to language syntax:

aName =
  x :
  y :
  z :
  []

(now, who do I credit for that? I forget...)

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is