[Haskell-cafe] Compiling GHC

Esa Ilari Vuokko eivuokko at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 11:24:09 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 3/30/07, Chris Witte <cwitte at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm tying to compile GHC under mingw (winxp with mingw no cygwin),
> everything appears to go OK but when I run make install it fails to
> copy some files

[snip copy errors on make install]

> ghc.exe:
> C:/msys/1.0/local/HSbase.o: unknown symbol `_gettimeofday'
>

> any ideas on what could be causing this.

My guess is that your mingw version is diffrent from the one makefile
assumes.  Atleast that problem I have had in past - using diffrent
mingw than ghc/mingw maintainer.  You can check this by running
in-place scripts and checking if ghci works that way.

You could also try copying neccesary stuff from existing ghc
installation - but that might cause even more wierd errors.

HTH,
Esa Ilari Vuokko