[Haskell-cafe] GHC Hangs

Josiah Manson josiahmanson at gmail.com
Mon May 7 23:43:04 EDT 2007

I have generated log files with both filemon and procmon. The procmon output
may be useful. ghc.exe launches gcc.exe which launches as.exe which does
various things, but the last thing as.exe does before all goes silent is
this line:

16555    10:24:30.0592945 PM    as.exe    4364    RegOpenKey
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics    NAME NOT
FOUND    Desired Access: Read

The very last thing as.exe does is fail to open a registry key. Is this the
problem? Maybe, but I still think the behavior feels like deadlock, because
sometimes compilation hangs while sometimes it does not, and when it hangs
there is no CPU usage.