[Haskell-cafe] Picking an architecture for a Haskell web app

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu May 10 11:42:17 EDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 11:37 , Andrew Coppin wrote:

> I've crawled all over the webpage, and I can't see any
> documentation anywhere to this effect, but presumably all this
> dynamic goodness only works if GHC is installed, right?

Yes, it's GHC-specific.

> BTW... Does lambdabot seriously take every expression you type and
> compile it to a binary executable, dynamically link it, and execute
> it? I was expecting it to just run a simple source-level
> interpreter...

There ain't no such thing, and if it were it'd be painful at best.
Future versions of lambdabot *might* use ghc-api instead, but yes, it
really does compile and link a program.  I think that allows it to
exercise tighter control over what is permitted to execute, i.e. hide
everything capable of I/O actions.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu