[Haskell-cafe] Limits of deduction

Rodrigo Queiro overdrigzed at gmail.com
Fri May 11 08:05:14 EDT 2007

I think it might be impossible. For the function:

sumFirst n = sum . take n

then for any finite list, we can choose an n large enough that it will
examine the whole list, even though the function is able to stop. This means
the only way to check is to call it with an infinite list and see if it
terminates, which might be impossible. However, maybe it is possible if this
is a special case of the halting problem?