[Haskell-cafe] Re: Compilling GHC on Vista

Monique Monteiro monique.louise at gmail.com
Sun May 13 11:36:14 EDT 2007

Hi all,

  I've solved the problem by adding the correct paths to the system's
PATH variable.  I don't know why, but it seems that just putting "SET
PATH=..." in cygwin.bat doesn't work...

  Now I get the following message in the compilation itself (make):

utils/Outputable.lhs:54:
    Failed to load interface for `Name':
        Bad interface file: stage1/basicTypes/Name.hi-boot-6
            stage1/basicTypes/Name.hi-boot-6: openBinaryFile: permission denied
(Permission denied)

utils/Outputable.lhs:54:
    Module `Name' (hi-boot interface) does not export `Name'
<<ghc: 20124240 bytes, 4 GCs, 47644/47644 avg/max bytes residency (1 samples), 1
6M in use, 0.00 INIT (0.00 elapsed), 0.11 MUT (0.23 elapsed), 0.01 GC (0.01 elap
sed) :ghc>>
make[2]: *** [stage1/utils/Outputable.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/ghc-6.2.2-src/ghc-6.2.2/ghc'
make: *** [build] Error 1

I used "Run as Administrator" to run Cygwin and I've disabled Vista's
user account control.  I also set GHC's foder and subfolders to not
read-only.  Has anyone any idea about what may be happening?

Monique

On 4/28/07, Claus Reinke <claus.reinke at talk21.com> wrote:
> > pps. ah, silly me. i finally understand that ghc ticket #1280 is not a
> >    ghc issue at all. if gcc depends on that same call, it will not see the
> >    mingw ld as executable, so might fall back on defaults later in the
> >    PATH, right? but that would make me wonder how anyone could
> >    have a vista build of ghc? perhaps they are using a newer mingw/gcc,
> >    with some workaround for the issue? well, i'll stop guessing here.
>
> there we go: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=679462
>
>    ..
>    * include/io.h (__mingw_access): New static inline wrapper to
>    restore pre-Vista 'access (fname, X_OK)' behaviour.
>    (__USE_MINGW_ACCESS): Use to map access() to
>    __mingw_access().
>    ..
>
> that looks promising, doesn't it?
>
> claus

Monique Monteiro, MSc
MCP .NET Framework 2.0 / SCJP / IBM OOAD
Project Manager
Recife Microsoft Innovation Center
+55 81 34198137
http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~mlbm