[Haskell-cafe] hash of a lazy bytestring?

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Sun May 13 13:56:14 EDT 2007

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 08:30:41AM -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> I was just contemplating hashes, and it occurred to me that it would be
> nice to be able to compute the hash of a lazily constructed bytestring and
> lazily consume its output without requiring the whole string to ever be in
> memory.  Or in general, it'd be nice to be able to perform two simultaneous
> consumptions of a lazy list without requiring that the entire list be
> stored.

This was discussed before, for example:
    http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2006-March/015093.html
I thought I've got a working solution for this problem using
concurrency:
    http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2006-March/015136.html
but later I realised that it wouldn't work on a multiprocessor machine:
    http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2006-March/015140.html

Best regards
Tomek