[Haskell-cafe] Editor

Paul Drummond paul.drummond.webmail at googlemail.com
Tue May 22 04:02:57 EDT 2007

On 5/21/07, Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Code like "makeRandomValueST :: StdGen -> (MyType, StdGen)" (which,
> incidentally, was far easier to copy from in Gedit than GVim to paste into
> this message) ...

Really?

To copy that line of code in vim you could do:

v%y

assuming the cursor is in the right place (at the start of the code) and if
it isn't it's easy in vim to get it there!

Of course, in Windows you must have "guioptions=a" in your config so that
all yanks go directly to the Windows clipboard (which should really be in
there by default but it isn't).

Vim is extremely powerful, but I understand that the steep learning curve is
a problem for many.  As a developer, I would recommend taking the time to
learn advanced features of any editor (whether emacs, vim, or whatever).  I
presume most developers on this list use regular expressions to navigate
their code despite the relatively steep learning curve, correct?

BTW:  Hello everyone - first post!  I planned to wait to introduce myself as
a Haskell newbie when I came up with my few questions but as a Vim lover I
couldn't resist posting about this!

Paul.