[Haskell-cafe] New book: Real-World Haskell!

Doug Kirk doug at dkirk.com
Fri May 25 13:23:24 EDT 2007

> What about a public darcs repository where people can constantly download
> and review modifications? People could even send patches to the authors
> (editors?).

I realise that everyone wants to eat their own dog food, but really,
if you want the code samples to be available to the masses, you'll use
Subversion instead of darcs.

No offense to the darcs creators, but

1) Only current Haskellers use it; everyone else either uses
Subversion or is migrating to it;
2) It's not suitable for medium- to large-scale software development
(after 24 hrs+ of importing code for a project underway, still
incomplete, I cancelled it and used Subversion, which completed its
import in 45 minutes);
3) I can browse a Subversion repository with a web browser instead of
having to download code from the repository from the command line (of
course command line is still available). Sometimes viewing a version
of a code sample online is all that is needed to answer a question,
and in that case I prefer to look instead of downloading a file that I
have to delete.

--doug