[Haskell-cafe] Hugs

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun May 27 04:25:52 EDT 2007

Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
>> > I don't know about Linux, but Hugs is currently hopelessly unstable on
>> > Windoze.
>>
>> Have you filed bugs in the hugs bug tracker?
>
> No bugs have been filed from this. In general Windows and Hugs is rock
> solid, I use it every single day without issue - including to develop
> Yhc (an compiler). If Andrew is having any problems, please share them
> (hugs-bugs -at- haskell.org).

IIRC, I did have a look at the bugtracker once, and several people
seemed to have reported bugs similar to the ones I'm seeing.

It's a shame really; the 2003 release of Hugs worked flawlessly. The new
2006 release has a much nicer UI, but... it behaves unpredictably. In
particular, it has a habit of printing garbage instead of computation
results. (Sometimes the correct result is truncated, sometimes parts of
previous outputs - or the welcome banner - is reprinted instead of the
output. Sometimes the output it printed multiple times. Sometimes valid
Haskell generates spurious parse or type errors, but if you restart Hugs
it works fine, etc.) Also, more than once I've been visited by Dr
Watson. I don't care *what* you do to a program, it should _never_ crash
that badly...

There is also the minor detail that the uninstaller doesn't actually
work. ("The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction...") So I
can't even remove the program from my computer now. :-(