[Haskell-cafe] Hugs

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun May 27 06:11:01 EDT 2007

Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
>> It's a shame really; the 2003 release of Hugs worked flawlessly. The new
>> 2006 release has a much nicer UI, but... it behaves unpredictably. In
>> particular, it has a habit of printing garbage instead of computation
>> results.
>
> This is not in the bug tracker. Do you have a reproducible test case?
> I think I fixed one bug related to this a while back.

Unfortunately it seems very intermittent. Sometimes it works fine,
sometimes it just acts weirdly at me.

It is of course possible that the "one bug" you fixed is the one I'm
seeing...

>> Also, more than once I've been visited by Dr
>> Watson. I don't care *what* you do to a program, it should _never_ crash
>> that badly...
>
> I've never crashed WinHugs, ever. If you could say *what* crashes Hugs
> we'd have a much better chance and fixing it.

Again, intermittent, can't reliably reproduce. This one is a lot rarer
than the first, fortunately.

>> There is also the minor detail that the uninstaller doesn't actually
>> work. ("The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction...") So I
>> can't even remove the program from my computer now. :-(
>
> Just delete the directory and you'll be fine, it doesn't install
> .dll's in Windows directories etc. This is a known bug, and on the bug
> tracker, and will be fixed in a new release shortly.

OK. Thanks for that.