[Haskell-cafe] Crazy idea: overloading function application notation

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Wed May 30 22:05:42 EDT 2007

This is a crazy idea I've been working on: overload the syntax "x y" so it can
mean function application "f x = f(x)" or multiplication "x y = x*y". The
reason is simply that I appreciate the brevity of MLs function application
but I also appreciate the brevity of Mathematica's multiplication.

Is it possible to implement this in Haskell using type classes? Is there any
way this could actually be practicable?

OCaml for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?e