[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why can't Haskell be faster?

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Fri Nov 2 15:39:03 EDT 2007

On Friday 02 November 2007 19:03, Isaac Gouy wrote:
> It's slightly interesting that, while we're happily opining about LOCs
> and gz, no one has even tried to show that switching from LOCs to gz
> made a big difference in those "program bulk" rankings, or even
> provided a specific example that they feel shows how gz is
> misrepresentative - all opinion, no data.

Why gzip and not run-length encoding, Huffman coding, arithmetic coding, block
sorting, PPM etc.?

Choosing gzip is completely subjective and there is no logical reason to think
that gzipped byte count reflects anything of interest. Why waste any time
studying results in such an insanely stupid metric? Best case you'll end up
concluding that the added complexity had no adverse effect on the results.

In contrast, LOC has obvious objective merits: it reflects the amount of code
the developer wrote and the amount of code the developer can see whilst
reading code.