[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why can't Haskell be faster?

Ryan Dickie goalieca at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 00:00:19 EDT 2007

On 11/2/07, Sterling Clover <s.clover at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I understand it, the question is what you want to measure for.
> gzip is actually pretty good at, precisely because it removes
> boilerplate, reducing programs to something approximating their
> complexity. So a higher gzipped size means, at some level, a more
> complicated algorithm (in the case, maybe, of lower level languages,
> because there's complexity that's not lifted to the compiler). LOC
> per language, as I understand it, has been somewhat called into
> question as a measure of productivity, but there's still a
> correlation between programmers and LOC across languages even if it
> wasn't as strong as thought -- on the other hand, bugs per LOC seems
> to have been fairly strongly debunked as something constant across
> languages. If you want a measure of the language as a language, I
> guess LOC/gzipped is a good ratio for how much "noise" it introduces
> -- but if you want to measure just pure speed across similar
> algorithmic implementations, which, as I understand it, is what the
> shootout is all about, then gzipped actually tends to make some sense.
>
> --S

Lossless File compression, AKA entropy coding, attempts to maximize the
amount of information per bit (or byte) to be as close to the entropy as
possible. Basically, gzip is measuring (approximating) the amount of
"information" contained in the code.

I think it would be interesting to compare the ratios between raw file size
its entropy (we can come up with a precise metric later). This would show us
how concise the language and code actually is.

--ryan