[Haskell-cafe] Re: torrent for 6.8.1?

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 07:30:19 EST 2007

Hello Cale,

Sunday, November 4, 2007, 1:52:08 PM, you wrote:

>> especially when nobody will bother to seed it. I'm sure most *nix users
>> get GHC from their distribution's mirrors anyhow. Mirrors are really
>> what you need. ;)

1. there are many windows users
2. afaiu the situation, official unix packages becomes available much
later than user-compiled ones

> The binaries are ~47MiB apiece. I suspect that almost everyone on
> Windows and Linux x86 will want the binaries too, since compiling GHC
> tends to take a while. Anyway, it seems like haskell.org is becoming
> more responsive now, but it would be something to keep in mind for the
> future.

and don't forget that haskell.org box serves not only ghc downloading
and even not only haskell site

i propose: in a few first days after release, make available only
alternative download places (SoundForge, BitTorrent...) and then, when
first wave of downloads shrinks, make direct links. also, hackage
server may be a better place for storing such popular downloads?

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com