[Haskell-cafe] Best Linux for Haskell?

Felipe Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 15:49:23 EST 2007

On 11/6/07, Seth Gordon <sethg at ropine.com> wrote:
> I strongly suspect that if you got hold of 6.8.1
> packages that were built for Debian, they would also install on Ubuntu,
> but I haven't tried doing that yet.

IME, this is very tricky to do right, even if the dependencies are the
same (e.g. libc). My advice is: if you want packages, get them for
your distro. If you haven't, compile from source or use generic
binaries on $HOME.

I've used Ubuntu for some time, until I got tired to wait 6 months for
new packages and switched to Debian Unstable. I'd say I'm happy now,
but I guess this unstable life isn't for a Linux newbie =).

--
Felipe.