[Haskell-cafe] HOC is dead! Long live HOC!

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 11:14:52 EST 2007

BridgeSupport [1] is new functionality in Leopard that makes the
current Haskell Objective-C bindings (HOC) obsolete (almost).

---
The metadata is intended to be a resource for use beyond bridging.
Most frameworks on the system provide two chunks of XML BridgeSupport
metadata; succinct and full.

The succinct version contains all of the metadata not provided by the
Objective-C runtime (which provides about 80% of what is necessary to
do full fidelity calls in / out of Objective-C via libffi).

The full version contains just that, the full metadata required to
describe the APIs of the framework, including all the bits that could
be gleaned at runtime.
---

BridgeSupport makes it unnecessary to parse Cocoa headers since all
the required data is right there in plain XML [2]. It's no longer
necessary to bundle libffi with HOC either since Leopard comes with a
much improved version.

I hereby propose to close up the old HOC project on SourceForge and
set up a new one at GoogleCode. I already did this but GoogleCode
noticed the SF project and is now waiting for permission from Wolfgang
and Andre.

	Thanks, Joel

[1] http://www.friday.com/bbum/2007/10/27/pyobjc-20-pyobjc-in-leopard/
[2] /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Resources/
BridgeSupport/AppKitFull.bridgesupport

--
http://wagerlabs.com