[Haskell-cafe] Re: Building Haskell stuff on Windows

Peter Hercek phercek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:21:27 EST 2007

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> | > Windows and Haskell is not a well travelled route, but if you stray of
> | > the cuddly installer packages, it gets even worse.
> |
> | But it shouldn't. Really it shouldn't. Even though Windows is not my
> | preferred platform, it is by no means different enough to warrant such
> | additional complexity. Plus, GHC is developed at Microsoft, and the
> | currently most featureful Haskell IDE is on Windows...
>
> We build GHC on Windows every day.  I use MSYS with no trouble.

Are there any reasons to use mingw+msys instead of mingw+cygwin?

Last time I needed a quick build of gtk2hs (summer of this year?),
I run in so many problems with msys (too old versions of tools in it)
that I rather patched gtk2hs build system to make it work with cygwin.
Well this may not be an issue any more since I see a newer version
of msys is available from September.

Peter.