[Haskell-cafe] Re: Memory-mapped arrays? (IArray interfaces, slices, and so on)

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 02:05:52 EST 2007

Aaron Denney wrote:
>> It may be that by opening it in write mode you could ensure that noone else
>> modifies it (although I don't think this would work e.g. on nfs),
>
> It doesn't even work locally.

Right. But mmap is only sensible to use (even in C) when you know about
all the other processes who can modify the file; bearing this in mind,
it's still useful! Obviously the haskell RTS can't insulate us from
certain things, if the OS-level primitives let it down, but we can
document what you need to do to be safe.

Jules