[Haskell-cafe] How to do this in Haskell

Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Sun Nov 11 01:44:54 EST 2007

If you wanted to write a Haskell application that included a WYSIWYG
HTML editor, how would you do it?

More details:

- I'll probably be using Gtk2Hs for the app, though that could change
with a (very) good reason.

- The top priorities for the editor are that it resemble common word
processors in editing functions, and that the display looks as near as
possible to what can be expected from some major browser such as FireFox
or IE.  If it's not possible to do extremely well in both of these
criteria, then I may as well abandon the project now.

- I'd like for the result to be cross-platform, but Windows-only would
be just as good from my boss's perspective.

So, with all that in mind, I'm looking for options.  What looks most
realistic that I've found to date is building an XP-COM implementation
for Haskell via the FFI and either a code generation tool or Template
Haskell, and then using that to try to embed the Mozilla editor
component.  Given my serious lack of knowledge in XP-COM or the Mozilla
project or GTK, that looks sort of scary.

Any other ideas?

--
Chris Smith