[Haskell-cafe] Interesting effect of upgrading GHC

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 12 15:19:54 EST 2007

Hi guys.

I just removed GHC 6.6.1 and installed 6.8.1, and I noticed something
rather unexpected. I recompiled an existing program (with -O2), and
instead of taking 30 seconds to compile, it took roughly 2 seconds.
That's a really serious speedup! o_O Anybody have any idea what might
have caused this? (Not, you understand, that I'm complaining! But the
release notes say 10-15% faster, not 15,000% faster...)

I am also curiose to see whether the compiled code execution speed is
better/worse - but the program in question is mainly GUI, so I can't
test it with that... Perhaps my Chaos program? ;-)