[Haskell-cafe] Re: Weird ghci behaviour?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 13 13:37:18 EST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007, at 13:32 , Dan Piponi wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2007 3:00 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>>         Dan, can you suggest any words we could add to the
>>         documentation that would have prevented you stumbling?
>
> I guess the thing that would have helped best would have been an error
> message like "'x' not in scope, use -fforce-recomp to see all symbols"
> when running interactively in ghci with a previously compiled top
> level module.

FWIW, I'm thinking the right thing to do is -fforce-recomp explicitly
loaded (:l) modules by default, with documentation specifying to -fno-
force-recomp if you don't want that for some reason.  If you're using
ghci, most of the time you *don't* want the normal ghc symbol behavior.

(The above would still be useful, if you then switched to a module
pulled in by the explicitly loaaded one and tried to work with a non-
exported symbol.  I do that a fair bit when developing/debugging.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu