[Haskell-cafe] let vs. where

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 13:56:07 EST 2007

Hello,

I know there are several important differences between let-expressions
and where-clauses regarding scoping and the restriction of "where" to
a top-level definition.  However, frequently I write code in which
either one would be allowed, and I was wondering if there were any
guidelines or preferences for one structure over the other.  Currently
my choice is guided by aesthetics more than anything else ( I prefer
the look and ordering of a where clause).  Is there anything else I
should consider?  What do veteran Haskell programmers prefer?

Thank you,
John Lato