[Haskell-cafe] Re: Weird ghci behaviour?

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 06:09:54 EST 2007

It's worth saying that right now, all you have to do to get the source file
loaded is

   > :! touch M.hs
   > :reload

Put this in a macro, if you want:

   > :def src \s -> return (":! touch "++s)

I hear the arguments in this thread, and others have suggested changes before:

One of the suggestions was that if you name the source file rather than the
module name, you get the source file loaded for that file, and any object
code is ignored.  So any files you explicitly want to have full top-level
scope for must be named in :load or on the GHCi command line.

The only problem with this is that someone who isn't aware of this
convention might accidentally be ignoring compiled code, or might wonder
why their compiled code isn't being used.  Well, perhaps this is less
confusing than the current behaviour; personally I find the current
behaviour consistent and easy to understand, but I guess I'm in the minority!

The other suggestion is to have a variant of :load that ignores compiled
code (or for :load to do that by default, and rename the current :load to
something else).  I don't have a strong preference.

Cheers,
	Simon