[Haskell-cafe] expanded standard lib

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Tue Nov 20 12:03:21 EST 2007

Krzysztof Kościuszkiewicz wrote:

> I would advocate using a comment system that is similar to the one
> at http://djangobook.com/.

That's an appealing idea, but the devil lies in the details.

I wrote just such a comment system for  draft chapters of our book, and
it's seen a lot of use.

However, what I do is add ID tags to the DocBook source, and the XSLT
processor passes those through to the final HTML.  This isn't easily
generalised to other tools, as each needs its own approach.

An alternative is to embed identifiers in the generated HTML, but this
is brittle in its own way.  Few people generate HTML by hand, and most
tools that do so have a habit of making huge changes to the output
structure in response to minor user edits.  Stably identifying chunks of
text across multiple versions of a document is thus somewhat fiddly.

	<b