[Haskell-cafe] More problems [Tetris]

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 21 15:31:57 EST 2007

Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
> No GLUT is not bundled with GHC 6.8.1 anymore. Yes, that is weird.
>
> It was bundled with GHC 6.6.1.

OK, so it was there, but now it isn't, and this fact isn't documented.

Should I file a ticket for this? (To get the release notes amended if
nothing else.) Was GLUT removed on purpose, or was this an oversight?
(Is it still there on Unix?)

> But installing it for GHC 6.8.1 is really
> easy, but you have to install msys/mingw first.

Not keen on installing a Unix emulator just so I can install stuff from
Hackage. (Surely this shouldn't be necessary?)

> So if you want to do some experiments with OpenGL without having to install
> other stuff, use GHC 6.6.1.

I'm only trying to get this Tetris program to work. I'm more likely to
want to play with Cairo or SDL. ;-)

> *** Don't give up, it's lots of fun once it works ***

LOL! I'm sure. ;-)

> Yeah, Windows users are a bit second class citizens when it comes to
> Haskell, but that's the way it works. Personally I can understand that.

Well, they say there aren't many Windows users which makes it harder to
test. I can understand that... Heck, if I knew what buttons to press,
I'd have a go at improving the situation. (We already fixed is so that
the new streams thing on Hackage works out-of-the-box on Windows now...
or at least will do with the next release of Cabal.)

> Windows is really a mess. My first computer with a real OS was an Amiga, and
> I must say that I miss that elegance and simplicity in *all* modern OSes.
> For many people, Linux seems to have that elegance. Personally, I don't see
> it, but I don't see that in Windows either...

I too have an Amiga sitting next to my desk.

Windows suffers from extreme featuritus. Worse even than Yahoo! does.

Unix seems to suffer from being an ah-hoc thing encrusted with 28,000
layers of backwards compatibility. It's far too messy for my liking.
Much more *reliable* than Windows, but seemingly no more elegant
conceptually.

I keep dreaming that one day I'll write a propper OS... but (surprise!)
it hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, this is drifting radically off-topic!