[Haskell-cafe] question about ghci on windows ...

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 22 14:18:04 EST 2007

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2007, at 19:57 , Galchin Vasili wrote:
>
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>>     I am trying to dump out all function signatures exported from
>> System.Directory. I just tried
>> inside ghci: :! ghc --show-iface System.Directory. This is getting
>> closer ... thank you! However, now there appears to be a "path"
>> problem because I get an error message: " System.Directory:
>> openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)". ??
>
> Just for reference:  --show-iface is intended to operate on an
> explicitly specified .hi file, not a module name.  You could locate
> System\Directory.hi in the ghc lib directory and run ghc --show-iface
> on that, or just use :browse.

Also, --show-iface dumps low-level compiler data. In particular, it
doesn't necessarily show you exactly what the module exports - but
rather, it shows you when GHC might inline into client modules. ;-) If
you want the callable interface, you want to be using the :browse
command, not playing with interface files.