[Haskell-cafe] Re: More problems [Tetris]

Jonathan Cast jonathanccast at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 22 14:52:43 EST 2007

On 22 Nov 2007, at 11:16 AM, Andrew Coppin wrote:

> Aaron Denney wrote:
>> On 2007-11-21, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In short, lots of Haskell-related things seem to be extremely
>>> Unix-centric and downright unfriendly towards anybody trying to set
>>> things up on Windows. If I didn't already know a bit about Unix, I'd
>>> be *really* stuck!
>>>

>> I'd say, rather, that windows is unfriendly towards open and working
>> common standards.
>>

> Or you could say that Windows *is* a "common standard". (I stop
> short of "working".) But it's unclear where such circular semantic
> fidgetting gets us. ;-)

Or you could say that focusing on ‘standards’ is a good way to side-
step the issue of whether those standards are technically sound or
not; and that if the combination of Windows and Haskell is
technically unsound, there are four possibilities:

(0) Windows and Haskell are both themselves technically unsound;
(1) Windows is technically unsound, and Windows + Haskell
incorporates this unsoundness;
(2) Haskell is technically unsound, and Windows + Haskell
incorporates this unsoundness; or
(3) Windows and Haskell are both technically sound, but in
incompatible ways.

I lean towards (1), naturally.

But this doesn't answer the question of whether the lowest-cost
solution is to fix Windows or work around it, of course.

jcc