[Haskell-cafe] Searched for mdo on haskell.org. Found nothing.

Richard Kelsall r.kelsall at millstream.com
Sun Nov 25 14:17:42 EST 2007

Tillmann Rendel wrote:
> Andrew Coppin wrote:
>> In general, I find *most* search functions to be fairly unhelpful.
>> Google is the shining exception to this rule; it almost always seems
>> to figure out what you're after.
>>
>> I guess doing text searching is just a fundamentally difficult
>> problem, and the guys at Google have spent a hell of a long time on it.
>
> text searching is a well-known problem. ranking search results by
> relevance is the key to google's success. read the paper about google to
> learn more:
>
> Sergey Brin and Lawrence Page,
> "The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine"
> in: Proceedings of the 7th International WWW Conference, 1998, Brisbane
>
> http://infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html
> http://infolab.stanford.edu/pub/papers/google.pdf

Thank you for that link. An interesting paper. I hadn't seen it before.

I've added a link to a Google site search to the haskell.org front page.
I can't find a way to link the existing search box at the top directly
to it and can't create a 'form' element, so I've created a link labelled
'Search haskell.org' to this intermediate page on my site

http://www.millstream.com/haskellorgsearch.html

If someone can point the haskell.org search box directly at the
Google site search please do so. It currently searches *.haskell.org/*
which may be too broad? I can adjust as required.

Richard.