[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

Sterling Clover s.clover at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 23:11:28 EST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 11:34 AM, David Fox wrote:

> In that case we need to identify all the groups that the front page
> is serving and create separate areas for each, all "above the fold"
> as it were:
>
> 1. A "sales pitch" for new users.  I see how much this disturbs
> some people, but maybe it is better to think of it as a quick
> introduction with a focus on benefits and comparisons to things
> which are already familiar.  This is what one needs when one is in
> the stage of deciding whether to pursue something.

There should also be a bit of discussion on *who* folks want the
pitch to attract. As I see it, there are a number of categories here
as well, and maybe even links to "breakout pages" for different
demographics could be in order.

I expect any number of us have had the experience where we want to
use Haskell on a project, and need to convince our project manager /
other form of immediate supervisor / boss / whatever that this is a
good idea -- so there needs  to be a pitch geared to benefits that
they'll latch on to -- reliability, clarity, maintainability,
provability, speed, momentum and staying power, library support, etc.

Then there should be a different sort of pitch for casual new users
that want to get their feet wet in different sorts of programming
concepts.

Finally, there should be a pitch for people that really know what's
up, so to speak, are looking for a place to expend some of their
significant talent, and are going to be attracted by some of the
mathematically cooler/geekier/blow-your-mind aspects of Haskell, the
power of its type system, etc. Mindshare among these folks is key for
more people that want to hack on getting Cabal to "just work," adopt
the maintenance of libraries and come up with new and useful
proposals therein, get involved with compiler development (or at
least generate really useful test-cases and bug reports), and all that.

--Sterl