[Haskell-cafe] Collections library

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Wed Nov 28 05:23:18 EST 2007

Ketil Malde wrote:
> Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de> writes:
>
>> PS (completely off-topic, sorry): I've been using the collections library
>> throughout the project & I must say it is a lot nicer to work with
>
> I tried to Google for this, and ended up at
>
>   http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/CollectionClassFramework
>
> The only link that seems to work is the one that is marked as
> outdated.  I've replaced them with a link to Hackage, but somebody who
> knows more about this might want to recheck the facts on the page.

It currently lives here as a darcs repo..

  http://code.haskell.org/collections/collections-ghc6.8

..and is in the process of being 6.8ified and split up into separate
smaller packages for hackage. I think one of the problems with it as
one package (apart from it's size) is that different bits of it were
in different states of real world readiness. Some of it quite stable
(e.g. all the AVL tree stuff and Data.Map/Set clones) and some was
still actively being worked on (the Data.Trie.General stuff) and this
kinda stopped a stable hackage package for everything.

I recently withdrew from this project and offered up the libs I'd been
working on as they are for a new owner. Didn't get any takers though
(no surprises there!). I've always found the lack of apparent interest
in all this somewhat puzzling myself. It's not as if there's no latent
demand for efficient collections. (Data.Map is probably the most
regularly whined about of all the "standard" libs.)

Regards
--
Adrian Hey