[Haskell-cafe] Re: New slogan for haskell.org

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Nov 29 02:19:39 EST 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Ben Franksen wrote:

> Thomas Schilling wrote:
> > I put up a draft page.  Feel free to adjust it.
> >
> >   http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/FrontpageDraft
>
> I like the current version better. It is /very/ difficult to pack in such a
> short paragraph a list of the most important concepts /and/ advertising
> about how useful all this is.
>
> Rather than an advertising front page paragraph, I'd like to have a good
> introductory page. It should mention all the distinguishing features of
> Haskell, give a short explanation of the concepts with pointers (links) to
> more detailed texts (preferably on the wiki), and then go on to give the
> reader some idea about how and why this is all practically useful, maybe
> using one or two examples.

+1

When I want to judge a programming language I like to see a "gallery", a
collection of beautiful programs. This shows me
 1. what are the problems, the language developers want to tackle
(does "general purpose" for the developers mean "web, XML and data base
processing" or "computationally intensive numerical stuff")
 2. how do they solve them, i.e. what are the special features of the
language and how do they help solving the problem, what style of
programming does the language support.