[Haskell-cafe] Haskell and DB : giving up

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 29 15:51:32 EST 2007

Ketil Malde wrote:
> I think this is the problem, not the solution.  There is a lot of DB
> libraries, just like there are a multitude of XML libraries, several
> collections, etc.  Too many libraries are written as research projects
> or by grad students, and left to rot after release.  The fragmentation
> also means that few libraries see any extensive testing - I was a bit
> surprised that apparently none of the XML libraries can handle files
> larger than a few megabytes, for instance.
>
> You're probably right that one of them would work, but especially new
> users will have no way of knowing which one.  Only after the user
> has given up do people post similar experiences.
>
> This is getting better, of course - hackage will grow usage
> and activity statistics and perhaps ratings, the wiki will be extended
> with recommendations, more people will get involved in development.
> But at the moment, this is a problem.

This is one of the more frustrating aspects of Haskell. It's not that
nobody has written DB bindings - they most certainly have. It's not that
nobody has written compression or cryptography bindings - they have.
It's that there is a small zoo of them, and it's really hard to pick out
which ones are the "good" ones. I really hope this does improve in time.
(And I really wish I could do something positive to make this happen...)