[Haskell-cafe] Haskell interface file (.hi) format?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 30 14:23:00 EST 2007

Rob Hoelz wrote:
> Hello fellow Haskellers,
>
> Does anyone know if/where I can find a specification for the .hi files
> generated by GHC?  I ask because I want to write an omni-completion
> plugin for Vim to make Haskell hacking a bit nicer.

You don't want to do that.

The .hi files can expose internal implementation details that shouldn't
be visible to callers of the library. (E.g., so that GHC can inline
things across module boundaries.) What you want to play with is the
:browse command. ;-)

(Thinking about it... some kind of tool for easily producing a propper
"interface file" that 3rd party tools can use would probably be quite a
useful thing... I wonder how hard it would be to implement?)