[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 01:38:54 EDT 2007

On 10/4/07, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> It was raised at CUFP today that while Python has:
>
>     Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that can be
>     used for many kinds of software development. It offers strong
>     support for integration with other languages and tools, comes with
>     extensive standard libraries, and can be learned in a few days. Many
>     Python programmers report substantial productivity gains and feel
>     the language encourages the development of higher quality, more
>     maintainable code.
>
> With the links from the start about using Python for various purposes,
> along with reassuring text about licenses and so on.
>
> Note its all about how it can help you.
>
> The Haskell website has the rather strange motivational text:
>
>     Haskell is a general purpose, purely functional programming language
>     featuring static typing, higher order functions, polymorphism, type
>     classes, and monadic effects. Haskell compilers are freely available
>     for almost any computer.
>
> Which doesn't say why these help you.
>
> Any suggestions on a 2 or 3 sentence spiel about what's available?
>
> Here's some quick points:
>
>     General purpose: applications from OS kernels to compilers to web dev to ...
>     Strong integration with other languages: FFI, and FFI binding tools
>     Many developer tools: debugger, profiler, code coverage, QuickCheck
>     Extensive libraries: central library repository, central repo hosting
>     Productivity, robustness, maintainability: purity, type system, etc
>     Parallelism!

Can't we embrace the power of 'and'? It's wonderful that Haskell is
seeing more practical use, but we shouldn't forget the foundations,
either. Maybe we should put your second description first, and *then*
have a paragraph saying, "and, for those who know what these are,
polymorphism, monadic effects, etc."? Only describing Haskell in terms
of software engineeering doesn't seem right to me.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * catamorphism.org * Often in error, never in doubt
"I know / no matter what / no matter who / no matter what I do /