[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell FFI and finalizers

Maxime Henrion mux at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 9 11:12:19 EDT 2007

Simon Marlow wrote:
> Maxime Henrion wrote:
> >Stefan O'Rear wrote:

> >>Ah, yes, this does make the situation more interesting.
> >>
> >>Looks like newForeignPtrEnv is maybe what you want?
> >
> >Yeah, this is what I use now.  I wrote a player_finalizer() function in
> >C, that takes a FILE * and a pointer to the struct I'm handling, and
> >which just closes the file.  I then added these sources to the mix in my
> >.cabal file (with C-Sources, Extra-Includes, etc), and registered this
> >new finalizer using addForeignPtrFinalizerEnv.
> >
> >This makes me want to ask you, what is so bad about Foreign.Concurrent
> >that it should be avoided at almost any cost?  It sure is likely to be
> >much slower than just calling a plain C finalizer, but aren't Haskell
> >threads super-cheap anyways?
>
> In GHC ordinary ForeignPtr finalizers are implemented using
> Foreign.Concurrent anyway.  It's not so much that Foreign.Concurrent should
> be avoided at all costs, but rather finalizers in general should be
> avoided, especially if you really care about when they run (i.e. bad things
> could happen if they run late or at unpredictable times).
>
> The Haskell code is not run "by the garbage collector", rather the garbage
> collector figures out which finalizers need running and creates a thread to
> run them.  It's perfectly safe to have C finalizers that invoke Haskell
> code using GHC, although this is explicitly undefined by the FFI spec.
>
> The reason that Foreign.Concurrent is separate from Foreign.ForeignPtr is
> that it does essentially require concurrency to implement, whereas ordinary
> C finalizers can be run by the GC (although GHC doesn't do it this way).

Thank you for those precisions, Simon.  It seems that even if using the
Foreign.Concurrent module isn't a problem per-self, I'd be better off
using a plain C finalizer that I write myself, if only for portability
with other FFI implementations.

Cheers,
Maxime