[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 10 17:47:43 EDT 2007

Derek Elkins wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 20:54 +1000, Thomas Conway wrote:
> I must say, I get that! but at the same time, of course, the high
> level abstraction is exactly what *we* love about Haskell.
>

> Then they should teach assembly not Python.  In fact, I'd recommend
> assembly anyway.

Ah yes, I remember my days of learning assembly at uni. That particular
subject was taught by Mr Apathy. His attitude of "well I'm supposed to
tell you all this because it's in the exam, but you don't *really* need
to know any of this stuff, modern compilers will do it all for you
anyway" really inspired me to learn. Not. But then, his attitude to
*everything* seemed to follow a similar pattern. (E.g., the rebuilding
of Colossus was "pointless" and "it'll never be the original", etc.)

Personally, I think knowing at least what assembly is *about* is very
important for understanding what "really happens" deep down inside the
machine. (I'm less sold on whether you really need to learn a particular
dialect well enough to *program* in it...)