[Haskell-cafe] Re: New slogan... (A long speculation)

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Sun Oct 14 20:31:32 EDT 2007

ok writes:

> On 11 Oct 2007, at 1:00 pm, jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr wrote:
>
>> An anonymous called ok writes:
>
> I am not anonymous.  That is my login and has been since 1979.

Oh, bother...
According to my imperfect knowledge of English, an anonymous is somebody
who doesn't sign his/her letters. And doesn't unveil his name. Just "OK" as
login, even since 1979, is still anonymous, whatever you may say.

It might the be anything, for example Richard O'Keefe, or something else.

Or perhaps I am again completely wrong, as in the case of "R" not being
something I ever wanted?

====

> If one wants a lazy dynamically typed programming language that
> lets you construct "infinite lists" by using the basic language
> mechanisms in a simple and direct way, there's always Recanati's
> Lambdix, which is a lazy Lisp.  I don't know whether that ever saw
> serious use, but it does show that the thing can be done.

Well, puisque Catherine Recanati est Française, I should have heard
about that thesis... (1986 if I am not mistaken). Seems abandoned.

And also another French lazy Scheme called Help, of Thomas Schiex, also
a PhD work... (1992, unless I am wrong) Also abandoned, at least
according to what Thomas S. told me some time ago.

So, if you really insist, you may safely say that claiming that there
are no dynamically typed functional languages, I lied as a dog. Still,
if you look around you, there are no dynamically typed functional
languages. You may now continue this hair-splitting discussion, chapeau
bas.

Yours,

J.K.