[Haskell-cafe] On the verge of ... giving up!

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Sun Oct 14 20:43:58 EDT 2007

Andrew Bromage writes:

> There's some stuff from Haskell 1.3 that I miss, and I hope it will
> come back, but there's also stuff that we're better off without.

I have heard that a few times, not recently. This is really interesting,
WHAT do you actually miss?

For me, from the ancient times, what I regret, but just a tiny bit, is
that (:) is not an operator as any other, but a "syntactic construct".
(Well, who cares, unless you try to make your own lists, with different
precedence, etc...)

Also, monadic comprehensions, which disappeared in order to remove too
much of ambiguity... Anything else worth mentioning? What *negative* has
been suppressed?

Frankly, I regret the times when Mark Jones made his revolutions within
Gofer, proposing constructor classes, etc. At that time we knew that
Haskell was for the brave, not for people making money... Almost everybody
was a newbie.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk