[Haskell-cafe] Hosting of Haskell project

Gour list at atmarama.org
Mon Oct 15 06:31:03 EDT 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:39:27 +0200
"Yitzchak Gale" <gale at sefer.org> wrote:

> It seems to me that the opposite is true. Trac is a
> mature app with a huge community of people
> supporting it and writing plugins, including some
> departments at NASA. It is being used successfully
> for many large projects, such as GHC. It will not go
> away for a long, long time. Much of the Haskell
> community is already accustomed to Trac.

That's true.

> Redmine is quite new. Based on posts and commits,
> it appears to be maintained by a single person.
> I don't know of any major project or organization
> that is using it yet. So I am a little worried that its
> future is not yet assured. And I am not sure if
> anyone knows yet how stable it is currently, or
> how it scales under load.

I'm doing some small tests and cannot say anything concrete.

However, Redmine supports MySQL & PostgreSQL (besides SQLite), so that
part should scale well.

otoh, I am waiting quite long for Trac-0.11 to appear and based on
recent post(s) from its devs on ml, it looks it is not so close.

Solution for hosting for many projects, should have built-in support
for multiple-projects and Trac won't have it for some time.

> However, Redmine definitely looks nicer and easier
> to use than Trac. Please let me know if my
> impression of its stability and track record are
> wrong.

I'll try, although I cannot mimic proper scaling on my localhost with
few small projects.

> Also - if the Haskell community adopts
> Redmine, that itself could give it a big push.

I fully agree and hope someone more qualified (from Haskell community)
will take a look too.

Sincerely,
Gour