[Haskell-cafe] Hosting of Haskell project

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Oct 15 06:32:04 EDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 09:24:28 +0200, Gour wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 07:36:55 +0100
>Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>
>> There is support for darcs in tracs as well.  I never got around to
>> writing a blog post about setting up darcs+trac+lighttpd on Debian and
>> by now I fear I've forgotten how I did it...  I remember it being
>> remarkably easy though.
>
>I was playing with it in the past, but it's 3rd party, ie. Trac does
>not have official support.

Yes, that's true.  It seemed very good at the time though and it
integrated well with trac.  Personally I don't see the 3rd-party state
as an issue.

>otoh, Redmine has it out-of-the-box and, even more important, Redmine
>has support for multiple projects (I know a person who plans to
>configure SF-like service based on Redmine) which is scheduled for
>Trac-1.0, but considering how long we are waiting for trac-0.11, who
>know when it will happen...

It being implemented in Ruby-on-Rails, which I've /read/ has bad scaling
properties, could be a problem.

I'm also not convinced support for multiple projects is an important
feature.  It could even pose a problem in the future since, depending on
how it's done underneath, it could make migrating a single project off
the site more difficult than tarring up a directory and copy it to its
new home.  I'm somewhat sad to learn trac might be going in that
direction.

On the other hand Redmine does look cleaner somehow and I've never seen
a trac site that is as easy to find my way around as www.redmine.org.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus